NDA donates milk to frontline workers in various hospitals in the Visayas Region
When the COVID-19 hit the country and peaked in the month of April and May with cases rising in all areas, the National Dairy Authority (NDA) mobilized its staff across the nation to assist all farmers through a milk buying scheme where milk products were bought and donated to frontline workers in various hospitals and frontline agencies.
During the month of May, the NDA Visayas Department donated 53,668 milk packs to 2,329 frontline workers in hospitals, other offices, and households in the provinces of Iloilo, Antique, Negros Occidental, Negros Oriental, Cebu, Bohol, and Leyte. The milk packs, worth P1,237,241.00 were supplied by the following dairy farmers and farmer organizations:
- Emiliana Poliquit and Elizabeth Canson Of Leyte
- Arapal Dairy Farmers Association and the Yuviengco Farm of Cebu
- Primas Milk Processing Plant, Champs Integrated Farm, Belison Multi-Purpose
Cooperative and Orchard Valley, Inc. of Panay Island
- Mercanti Veneziani Trading and Tenshinzan Phils., Inc. in Negros Occidental
- Silliman University, Valencia Dairy Cooperative, Negros Oriental Dairy Processing
Plant, and Bayawan Dairy Farmers Cooperative in Negros Oriental
- Bohol Milk Processing Complex
The hospitals and other agencies provided with milk are the
- Kananga District Hospital/Checkpoints
- Palompon Hospital/MDRRMC
- Cebu Provincial Hospital- Bogo City
- Guba District Hospital
- Ibajay District Hospital
- Makato Municipal Hospital
- Dr. Rafael S. Tumbokon Memorial Provincial Hospital
- Barotac Viejo Municipal Hospital
- Jesus M. Colmenares District Hospital
- Sara District Hospital
- Western Visayas Medical Center
- West Visayas State University Medical Center
- Iloilo Provincial Hospital
- Corazon Locsin Montelibano Memorial District Hospital
- Bacolod Adventist Medical Center
- Riverside Medical Center
- Bacolod Queen of Mercy Hospital
- South Bacolod General Hospital
- Cadiz City District Hospital
- Murcia Municipal Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office
- Silliman University Medical Center Foundation, Inc.
- Ace Hospital and Checkpoints
- Holy Child and Negros Oriental Provincial Hospital
- Bayawan District Hospital
- Antique Provincial Hospital
- Belison Municipal health Office
- Don Emilio Memorial Hospital
- Garcia Memorial Provincial Hospital
Meanwhile, despite the threat of COVID-19, NDA field staff continued to assist farmers in the Visayas on an on-call basis. Field staff composed mainly of agricultural and animal husbandry experts as well as veterinarians continue to provide services such as animal vaccinations, veterinary assistance, as well as dairy orientation for those who want to invest in dairy farming.
To assist farmers at this time, the NDA distributed 10,000 Napier cuttings to new and old farmers in Leyte and Cebu. These Napier cuttings were sourced from Ubay Dairy Multiplier Farm and for the initial implementation of Oplan Kumpay in Visayas. Corn silage was also distributed as part of the SAP, but specifically tailored to fit farmers’ needs.
In Aklan, NDA staff lead by team leader Vicente Bitolinamisa supervised the silage production at Primas DMF in preparation for the arrival of 25 imported dairy animals and the onset of the summer season. For this month’s corn harvest, around 8 tons of silage was produced.
While the focus is given to dairy cattle production, there is also the PL480 PROJECT which involves dairy goat production. During the first quarter, most of the activities conducted were project orientations to those farmers and associations which sent letters of intent to join the Dairy Goat Farming Project. Among the areas visited and given orientations were two (2) in Negros Oriental, one (1) in Bohol, and another (5) in Leyte and Samar. As of the moment, the team is preparing some documentary requirements needed by interested applicants to qualify them as farmer-beneficiaries.
Some potential beneficiaries are now preparing their areas for pre-qualification. Activities like land preparation and forage development are on-going.